Posted by Dave Burke, VP of Engineering
At this time we’re releasing the third Beta of Android 13, taking us into the ultimate part of our cycle the place we’re specializing in polish and efficiency. With Android 13, we’ve constructed on ourof privateness and safety, developer productiveness, and pill and enormous display assist.
There’s loads to discover in Android 13, from privateness options like the brand new notification permission and picture picker, to productiveness options like themed app icons and per-app language assist, in addition to fashionable requirements like HDR video, Bluetooth LE Audio, and MIDI 2.0 over USB. We’ve additionally prolonged the newer, supplying you with to make the most of the 270+ million pill and enormous display units in energetic use.
Beta 3 takes Android 13 to, which implies that the developer APIs and all app-facing behaviors at the moment are last. We’re grateful for all of the suggestions you’ve shared to assist us get so far! For builders, the main target is now on compatibility testing and high quality as you put together your apps for the official launch later within the yr!
You may get Beta 3 in your Pixel system byfor over-the-air updates. Should you beforehand enrolled, you’ll mechanically get right now’s replace. You can too strive Android 13 Beta on choose units from a number of of our companions – study extra at . Learn on for a fast have a look at find out how to get your app prepared, and go to the for particulars.
With Beta 3, Android 13 reaches, a milestone meaning all app-facing behaviors and APIs, together with the official API Degree 33 SDK and NDK APIs, at the moment are last. So from Beta 3, you possibly can confidently develop and launch your compatibility updates understanding that the platform received’t change.
We’re asking all app and sport builders to begin your last compatibility testing now and put together to publish your compatibility updates as quickly as potential forward of the ultimate launch.
For all SDK, library, instruments, and sport engine builders, it’s much more essential to begin testing now and launch your suitable updates as quickly as potential — your downstream app and sport builders could also be blocked till they obtain your updates. So whenever you’ve launched a suitable replace, be vocal and let your builders know!
App compatibility implies that your app runs as meant on a brand new model of the platform. With every launch, we make integral adjustments to the platform that enhance privateness and safety and the general consumer expertise throughout the OS. These can have an effect on your apps, so it’s essential to check your app now, make any updates wanted, and publish a suitable replace to your customers forward of the ultimate launch. It’s a primary however important degree of high quality that your customers will recognize as they discover what’s new in Android 13.
To check your app for compatibility, simply set up your manufacturing app from Google Play or different supply onto a tool working Android 13 Beta 3. Work by all the app’s flows and look ahead to purposeful or UI points. Evaluation theto focus your testing. Listed here are some adjustments to observe for:
- Runtime permission for notifications – Android 13 introduces a brand new runtime permission for sending notifications from an app. Be sure you perceive how the brand new permission works, and plan on focusing on Android 13 (API 33) as quickly as potential. .
- Clipboard preview – Make sure that your app hides delicate information in Android 13’s new clipboard preview, comparable to passwords or bank card data. .
- JobScheduler prefetch – now tries to anticipate the following time your app can be launched and can run any related prefetch jobs forward of that point. Should you use prefetch jobs, check that they’re working as anticipated. .
Additionally keep in mind to check the libraries and SDKs in your app for compatibility. Should you discover any points, strive updating to the newest model of the library or SDK or reaching out to the developer for assist.
When you’ve revealed the suitable model of your present app, you can begin theto . Evaluation the and use the that can assist you detect points shortly. Listed here are a few of the adjustments to check for (these apply solely to apps with targetSdkVersion set to API 33 or increased):
- Close by system permission for Wi-Fi – Apps that handle a tool’s connections to close by entry factors ought to use a brand new
NEARBY_WIFI_DEVICESruntime permission for Wi-Fi operations like scanning, without having entry to system location. Some Wi-Fi APIs require your app to have this new permission. .
- Granular media permissions – In case your app targets Android 13 and reads media recordsdata from widespread information storage, you will need to request a number of of the brand new granular permissions as an alternative of the
- Permission adjustments for physique sensors – Android 13 introduces “whereas in use” entry for physique sensors. In case your app must entry physique sensor data from the background, it should declare a brand new
- Intent filters block non-matching intents – In case your app sends an intent to an exported part of one other app focusing on Android 13 (API 33) or increased, it now must match an intent filter within the receiving app. .
- Media controls derived from PlaybackState – Android 13 derives extra media controls from actions, to indicate a richer set of controls which can be constant throughout system sorts. Make sure that your app handles these adjustments.
Tablets and large-screens assist
Android 13 builds on the pill optimizations launched in, in order a part of your testing, be certain that your apps look their greatest on tablets and different large-screen units. You possibly can check with the big screens options by in Android Studio, or you should utilize a big display system from our . Listed here are some areas to observe for:
- Taskbar interplay – Verify how your app responds when seen with the brand new taskbar on massive screens. Make sure that your app’s UI is not lower off or blocked by the taskbar. .
- Multi-window mode – Multi-window mode is now enabled by default for all apps, no matter app configuration, so be certain that the app handles split-screen appropriately. You possibly can check by dragging and dropping your app into split-screen mode and adjusting the window dimension. .
- Improved compatibility expertise – in case your app isn’t optimized for tablets but, comparable to utilizing a set orientation or not being resizable, examine how your app responds to compatibility mode changes comparable to letterboxing. .
- Media projection – In case your app makes use of media projection, examine how your app responds whereas enjoying again, streaming, or casting media on massive screens. Remember to account for system posture adjustments on foldable units as properly. .
- Digicam preview – For digital camera apps, examine how your digital camera preview UI responds on massive screens when your app is constrained to a portion of the display in multi-window or split-screen mode. Additionally examine how your app responds when a foldable system’s posture adjustments. .
You possibly can learn extra concerning the pill options in Android 13 and what to check.
Get began with Android 13!
At this time’s Beta launch has every little thing that you must check your app and take a look at the Android 13 options. Simplyto get the replace over-the-air. To get began, .
You can too check your app with Android 13 Beta on units from a number of of our companions. Go toto see the total record of companions, with hyperlinks to their websites for particulars on their supported units and Beta builds, beginning with Beta 1. Every associate will deal with their very own enrollments and assist, and supply the Beta updates to you straight. For even broader testing, you possibly can strive Android 13 Beta 3 on , and in the event you don’t have a tool, you possibly can check on the .
For full particulars on Android 13, go to the.